A Michigan teen battling cancer realized a dream Friday when he practiced in goal with the NHL’s Nashville Predators, fending off shots while meeting his favorite player, The Tennessean reported.
Jacob Piros is visiting Nashville to participate in the Make-A-WIsh Foundation’s program. The 17-year-old played in goal during the Predators’ practice Friday and then had lunch with his favorite player, goalie Pekka Rinne, the newspaper reported.
Piros’ cancer is in remission, and he was given special treatment while he visited the Music City. The high school goalie was introduced before the Predators’ game Thursday night against the Winnipeg Jets, led the team onto the ice and stood with Rinne during the playing of the national anthem, The Tennessean reported.
Friday morning, Piros worked in net as Predators players Roman Josi, Anthony Bitetto, Ryan Ellis, Yannick Weber, Dan Hamhuis, Ryan Hartman, Matt Irwin and RInne took shots at the teen. Piros stopped most the shots fired his way, the newspaper reported.
"I can't score on you," Rinne said after Piros made a save.
Rinne told The Tennessean that Piros’ handling of his cancer through the years was “awesome.”
"It’s a humbling feeling. It’s pretty surreal," Rinne said. "Last night I was upset about the game, but all of a sudden you realize how selfish it is. It’s just a hockey game. There’s a lot of other things going on in life.
"Great guy. He’s funny. Good sense of humor,” Rinne said. “It’s a great experience for me, too."
Piros was given five hockey sticks by Rinne, and he will attend Nashville’s game Saturday against the Florida Panthers with his parents, The Tennessean reported.
"It was fantastic," Piros’ mother, Ronda Klein, told the newspaper. "He was in his glory. He was like, 'Wow, dream come true.'"
Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly received good news this week, as his recent MRI results after cancer surgery came back clean, WROC reported.
Kelly, who led the Buffalo Bills to four Super Bowls during his 11-year NFL career, underwent surgery last fall after he had surgery for oral cancer.
In an Instagram post, Kelly’s wife, Jill Kelly, said "We finally got back the results from Jim’s recent MRI ... CLEAN! Thank GOD! It took a bit longer than usual because of all the reconstruction Jim has had inside his mouth. They wanted to be certain that all was good ..."
Kelly threw for 35,467 yards and 237 touchdowns during his NFL career from 1986 to 1996. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2002.
A former Utah State University football player was convicted of sexually assaulting six women while he was in college, The Utah Statesman reported.
Torrey Green, 25, who played linebacker at the university, was found guilty of five counts of rape, one count of forcible sexual abuse and one count of object rape, the newspaper reported. The charges stemmed from allegations between 2013 and 2015.Green was found not guilty of one count of forcible sexual abuse, one count of object rape and one count of aggravated kidnapping. The jury found him not guilty of one count of forcible sexual abuse, but guilty of a lesser charge of sexual battery, the Statesman reported.
“There were convictions for all six of these survivors,” Deputy Cache County Attorney Spencer Walsh told reporters after the verdicts were read. “We’re very happy about that. They were believed.”
A jury comprised of five men and three women deliberated for 13 hours before reaching a verdict, the Statesman reported.
Green faces up to life in prison when he is sentenced March 27, The Salt Lake Tribune reported.
Earlier this week, carnival games and vendor kiosks were removed, and construction walls went up around a portion of the old Triceratops Encounter area, which has been defunct for almost a decade.
That matches work described on a demolition permit filed with the city of Orlando in May for Project 791 in that 1.36-acre area. Contractor documents indicate the project includes construction of “a new attraction” and estimates that demolition and construction will take 18 months.
A document reviewed shows a roller coaster track layout for that area, which we’ve reproduced above. The document shows the queue starting on the southern edge of the waterfront by the Discovery Center.
Records indicate the Raptor Encounter attraction currently in that area will be relocated as part of the construction.
The demolition permit for the area is in the final stages of approval, according to the city website.
Permits to construct the actual coaster have not yet been filed, city records show.
Universal spokesman Tom Schroder declined to comment for this story.
In a tweet last week, Universal said in response to a question about the Jurassic Park section, "We've got some exciting plans and look forward to more exciting details to come."
Bowling a perfect game is a tough feat, but to have two high school teammates do it during the same match -- back to back, on the same lanes -- is extraordinary.
La Salle High School senior Jacob Toelke rolled the second 300 game in the program’s history Thursday night -- he scored the first one two years ago -- and seconds later sophomore teammate Nolan Blessing wrapped up perfect game No. 3, WKRC reported. The two teammates shared the same lanes at Western Bowl against Oak Hills High School.
Toelke preceded his perfect game with a 235 total, while Blessing rolled a 256, the television station reported.
The Lancers improved to 11-2 after winning the match. Toelke is averaging 224.4 this season, while Blessing sports a 217.7 average, WKRC reported.
Holy heist, Batman! A thief zapped a South Florida collector by stealing a collection of comics of the Caped Crusader and the Boy Wonder worth $1.4 million, the Sun-Sentinel reported.
Randy Lawrence said his collection of 450 registered Batman and Detective comic books were stolen from an air-conditioned, double-locked storage unit in Boca Raton.
Now, Lawrence is hoping officials can catch the joker who took the comics. But for now, the theft is a riddle.
The Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the theft, which occurred sometime between Nov. 28 and Jan. 8, WFOR reported. Storage facility personnel were reviewing surveillance videos, the television station reported.
The theft had all the elements of a Batman comic book plot. A wire was left hanging from the ceiling of the storage unit, so Lawrence believes the villain entered through the roof, the Sun-Sentinel reported. The locks were not broken and boxes were shifted around in the unit, the newspaper reported.
Lawrence gave investigators a list of the missing Batman and Detective comic books and posted a list online with the certification numbers and pedigree names so the comic books can be traced.
Lawrence took to social media, pleading with other collectors to keep a watchful eye for anyone trying to sell the stolen comic books, the newspaper reported. Lawrence said the comics are registered with the Certified Guaranty Company, a comic book grading service, WFOR reported.
“I … really need you all to be aware and keep your eyes open,” Lawrence wrote online, according to the Sun-Sentinel. “They will probably be offered to some of you sooner than later.
“For me this is a first and on such a high level it’s been devastating. This collection was my nest egg, and I had worked so hard and done without for so long to put this together that it being taken away from me this way has left me in a very bad way.”
Former Marine Staff Sgt. R. Lee Ermey has been laid to rest months after he passed away at the age of 74.
He succumbed to complications from pneumonia, USA Today had reported last year.
Among those in attendance at the ceremony in the snow covered national cemetery, were his brothers Terry and Jack Ermey.
“Ron always had that element of surprise,” Terry Ermey told the crowd of family and friends. Betty and Clinton Ermey, R. Lee Ermey’s children, related how Ermey tried to learn to ride a unicycle. Friends also shared when he bought a buffalo robe, complete with horns, and wore it on an airplane to bring it home, the Marine Corps Times reported.
“I can only imagine him getting on the plane with those buffalo horns on,” retired 12th Sgt. Major. of the Marine Corps Harold Overstreet said during the ceremony, which was attended by almost 100 people.
Ermey was sent off with full military honors, including a Marine Corps bugler, a bagpiper and the firing of three volleys, the Marine Corps Times reported.
Ermey is survived by Marianila Ermey, his wife of 38 years, six children, 12 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren, the Marine Corps Times reported.
Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Alshon Jeffery was devastated after a critical dropped pass was intercepted in the NFC divisional game last weekend, ending the defending Super Bowl champions’ playoff hopes.
However, words of encouragement from second-graders in a suburban Philadelphia school prompted Jeffrey to visit the students, WPVI reported.
One of those students, 8-year-old Abigail Johnson, wrote a heartwarming letter that went viral after her father tweeted it. She told Jeffrey, "I am a huge Eagles fan. When I watched the play last night I was crying."
"I think you are an awesome player no matter what. It takes a lot of practice and courage to catch a ball," Abigail wrote.
Jeffrey visited Alli Morris’ class of second-graders at Sarah Starkweather Elementary School in West Chester to thank the students, WPVI reported. Morris had told her students that they would try to connect to Jeffrey through FaceTime, but instead surprised them as Jeffrey walked into the classroom, ESPN reported.
The students serenaded Jeffrey with a chorus of the Eagles’ fight song, WPVI reported.
"We talked about empathy and kindness and kind of talking about how Alshon might feel," Morris told the television station. "We wanted to boost him up after a tough loss."
Lyle Menendez confirmed that he and his brother, Erik Menendez, who were convicted in their murder of their parents, appeared in the background of a 1990-91 Hoops basketball card of Mark Jackson that went viral last month, the Daily Mail confirmed.
In an interview with DailyMailTV, the convicted murderer said he wouldn’t mind owning the card, which was seemingly worthless for years until a Reddit user spotted the brothers sitting courtside in the photo of Jackson, the New York Knicks’ point guard. The post went viral and the the value of the card jumped dramatically, although current eBay listings place it in the $15 to $30 range.
“I’d love to have the card, but it seems like they’re getting snapped up pretty quickly,” Menendez, 50, told the Daily Mail. “So, I probably won’t get one.”
Lyle Menendez and Erik Menendez, who turned 48 on Nov. 27, are serving life sentences without parole after fatally shooting Jose and Mary “Kitty” Menendez on Aug. 20, 1989. The brothers were convicted of their parents’ murders in 1996.
Both men are currently serving time at the R.J. Correctional Facility in San Diego, according to CBS News.The Reddit entry echoed an Aug. 9 Instagram post by jgold50, a self-described “collector of random things, mostly mortality subject matter.”
Sports Collectors Daily ran the nearly four-minute interview with Lyle Menendez on DailyMailTV, and parts of the discussion centered around the basketball card.
“At first I just said ‘Oh wow,’ you know it’s just a little emotional.” Lyle Menendez told DailyMailTV. “It was one of the last times with Erik and I, free together.”
Britain’s Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth and the father and grandfather of two future kings, Prince Charles and Prince William, respectively, was involved in a car accident Thursday afternoon (local time) in Norfolk near the queen’s Sandringham estate, according to news reports.
The prince, 97, was driving a Land Rover, which overturned during a collision with another car, but the Duke of Edinburgh walked away unscathed, the BBC reported.
A witness told the BBC that the duke was “very, very shocked,” but he was not injured and did not need medical treatment.
Two women in the other vehicle did need treatment for minor injuries. They were treated and released from a local hospital.
Both drivers were given breath tests to check for alcohol and both tested negative.
The queen and Prince Philip have been staying at Sandringham since Christmas. The duke still drives at 97 and some say only the queen could convince him to hand over his keys.
Take www.easy93.com everywhere you go! Download your app below from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store:
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!