5/21/22- NAMI Walks Your Way
8 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. at Maurice Ferre Park (formerly Museum Park), Miami
5/28/22 - Mental Health America, Southeast Florida Chapter
12pm - 4pm, FREE event features music, games, raffles, resources for parents & children
Pompano Community Park, 820 N.E. 18th Ave., Pompano Beach
BE PART OF THE SOLUTION WITH THE BORN THIS WAY FOUNDATION
Born This Way Foundation, co-founded and led by Lady Gaga and her mother, Cynthia Germanotta, supports the mental health of young people and works with them to build a kinder and braver world. We work to promote the mental health and wellness of youth by:
- Making kindness cool
- Validating the emotions of young people around the world
- Eliminating the stigma around mental health
Channel Kindness is our digital platform that invites young people and youth advocates to put compassion into action in their own lives through community engagement and storytelling. Find and share stories of empathy, resilience, hope, and community at ChannelKindness.org.
More from Channel Kindness:
- Instagram: @ChannelKindness
- Twitter: @ChannelKindness
- Facebook: @ChannelKindness
#BeKind21 calls on participants to practice an act of kindness each day for 21 days with the mission of building kinder, more connected communities that foster mental wellness. Individuals are invited to take the pledge and share their experience on social media using the hashtag #BeKind21. This year, we’re taking kindness to the next level (hint: beyond just 21 days). Stay tuned at bornthisway.foundation/bekind21.
Visit bornthisway.foundation/get-help-now to learn about more of our programs and to find resources for support.
ABOUT THE ‘BE THERE’ CERTIFICATE:
- The Be There Certificate is a free, self-paced, interactive online mental health course, available in English, French, and Spanish, for young people and youth advocates that trains them to provide mental health support to their peers. Created by Jack.org in partnership with Born This Way Foundation.
- The Be There Certificate is mental health education for all people: we’ve eliminated the barriers of cost and course availability, and created a comprehensive and high-quality educational resource built with young people in mind so that every generation can be equipped to support each other throughout their lives.
- It provides a simple and actionable framework, teaching people how to recognize when someone might be struggling, understand their role in supporting that person, and learn how to connect them to the help they need and deserve. Note the 5 Golden Rules below:
- Say what you see
- Show you care
- Hear them out
- Know your role
- Connect to help
- The certificate, which is awarded at the end of the course and takes approximately 90 minutes to complete, is signed by Cynthia Germanotta, President and Co-Founder of Born This Way Foundation and Jack.org’s Founder, Eric Windeler.
FOLLOW THE BORN THIS WAY FOUNDATION:
- Instagram: @BTWFoundation
- Twitter: @BTWFoundation
- Facebook: @bornthiswayfoundation
- TikTok: BTWFoundation
MENTAL HEALTH fACTS
Stats - (courtesy of Gallup Polls)
- Nearly 2/3 of Americans say they feel anxious or depressed in the wake of the Covid Pandemic.
- Stress and Worry are at a 14-year high among Americans
- Covid Variants, the Russian invasion of Ukraine and inflation. are major causes of anxiety for Americans.
- Stress causes both physical and emotional reactions in people, according to the National Institutes of Health.
Mental Health issues can range from situational Depression to Schizophrenia and Bi-Polar Disorder. Multiple resources are available to help people cope with the full range of Mental Health issues, from behavioral changes such as improved sleep habits, more exercise, yoga and meditation; to talk therapy to prescription medications. Speak with a doctor or therapist to determine what course of action is best for you.
If you don’t know who to call for help, start with 211. They can provide referrals to a wide range of organizations that specialize in helping people suffering from Mental Health Issues.
If you are in immediate distress or are thinking about hurting yourself, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline toll-free at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). You also can text the Crisis Text Line (HOME to 741741) or use the Lifeline Chat on the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline website.
President / CEO: Susan Racher
Executive Director: Sandra Cumper Boynton
Co-Founders: David Fenstersheib and Stephanie Fenstersheib
Thriving Mind - one of 7 organizations statewide that funds local Mental Health support groups.
No insurance required. No documentation required.
©2022 Cox Media Group